Overview of AWS RDS Aurora Pricing
Amazon Aurora is a modern relational database service that offers performance and high availability at scale, fully open-source MySQL- and PostgreSQL-compatible editions, and a range of developer tools for building serverless and machine learning-driven applications.
Amazon Aurora Pricing depends on the following features
AWS Aurora Database Instances
For provisioned Aurora, you can choose On-Demand Instances and pay for your database by the hour with no long-term commitments or upfront fees, or choose Reserved Instances for additional savings. Aurora has two flavors
Aurora MySQL-Compatible Edition
- On-Demand Instance Pricing
- On-Demand Instances let you pay for your database (DB) by the hour with no long-term commitments or upfront fees
- Pricing is per DB instance-hour consumed, from the time a DB instance is launched until it is stopped or deleted. Partial DB instance-hours are billed in one-second increments with a 10-minute minimum charge
- Instance pricing applies to both primary instances, used for read-write workloads, and Amazon Aurora Replicas, used to scale reads and enhance failover.
- Two types of instances are offered – Standard Instances and Memory Optimized Instances.
- Reserved Instance pricing
- Reserved Instances are appropriate for steady-state database workloads and offer significant savings over On-Demand.
- One Year Reserved Instances provide discounts up to 45 percent and Three Year Reserved Instances provide discounts of up to 66 percent over On-Demand.
- Pricing Varies by type of instance. Instance pricing details are available at – https://aws.amazon.com/rds/aurora/pricing/
Database Storage and I/Os
Amazon Aurora database storage consumption is billed in per GB-month increments, and I/Os consumed are billed in per million request increments. You pay only for the storage and I/Os your Amazon Aurora database consumes and do not need to provision in advance.
|$0.10 per GB-month
|$0.20 per 1 million requests
Amazon Aurora Global Database is an optional feature providing low-latency global reads and disaster recovery from region-wide outages. You pay for replicated write I/Os between the primary region and each secondary region.
|Replicated Write I/Os
|$0.20 per million replicated write I/Os
Backup storage for Amazon Aurora is the storage associated with your automated database backups and any customer-initiated DB cluster snapshots.
|$0.021 per GB-month
Backtrack lets you quickly move an Aurora database to a prior point in time without needing to restore data from a backup. This lets you quickly recover from user errors, such as dropping the wrong table or deleting the wrong row. This feature is currently available for the MySQL-compatible edition of Aurora.
|$0.012 per 1 million Change Records
Amazon Relational Database Service (RDS) Snapshot Export provides an automated method to export data within an RDS or Aurora snapshot to Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3) in Parquet format. The Parquet format is up to 2x faster to unload and consumes up to 6x less storage in Amazon S3 compared to text formats.
|Charge per GB of snapshot size:
- Data transferred between Amazon Aurora and Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) instances in the same Availability Zone is free.
- Data transferred between Availability Zones for DB cluster replication is free.
- For data transferred between an Amazon EC2 instance and Amazon Aurora DB instance in different Availability Zones of the same Region, Amazon EC2 Regional Data Transfer charges apply.
Amazon Aurora Cost Calculator
Following is the sample cost calculator for Aurora MYSQL Compatible Instances
|3 Memory Optimized Instances – db.r4.4xlarge
3 instance(s) x 2.32 USD hourly x 730 hours in a month = 5080.8000 USD
Amazon Aurora MySQL Compatible cost (monthly): 5,080.80 USD
3 instance(s) x 0.48 USD hourly x 730 hours in a month = 1051.2000 USD
Amazon Aurora MySQL Compatible cost (monthly): 1,051.20 USD
|Storage amount – 100 GB
IOPS – Base line rate (1000), Peak (3000), Duration of Peak activity (12 hrs)
Total Storage Cost (monthly): 786.16 USD
|500 GB of Backup Storage
Additional backup storage cost (monthly): 10.50 USD
|Total cost varies by sum of the all above costs depending on-demand vs Reserved
For more details , use AWS Pricing Calculator – https://calculator.aws/#/